Friday, July 17, 2009

Food Day Friday - THE bread

You know that homemade bread I haven't been able to shut up about on twitter? Well, it's Food Day Friday!


I know what you're thinking. what a horrible picture! surely, this isn't the amazing bread Christy hasn't been able to shut up about on twitter. I asked Husband to take the picture for me while I was nursing son, and this is what I got. imagine the bread sitting on a cobalt blue platter instead of the pizza stone it was cooked on. oh, Husband. I love him so much that I barely cared that I didn't have a great picture for Food Day Friday.


1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, more for dusting dough (it'll be better with bread flour, but all purpose works fine)
3 1/2 cups of lukewarm water (and another 2 cups for later)
Cornmeal

1. In a large bowl mix yeast and salt into water. Stir in flour. Cover with a kitchen towel. Let dough rise at room temperature 2 hours or up to 5 hours. Of course, the longer you wait, the more work the yeast does, thus more dough.
2. When ready to bake, sprinkle a little flour on dough and knead. Put dough on pizza stone sprinkled with cornmeal; let rest 40 minutes.
3. Place broiler pan with 2 cups of water in it on bottom of oven. Preheat over to 450. you may have to remove the top rack of the oven so the bread has enough room.
4. Dust dough with flour, slash top with serrated or very sharp knife three times. Bake until well browned, about 40 minutes. Cool and enjoy.

I've been eating this bread with butter or nutella. Also, last time we made it, Husband added 4 tablespoons of Italian Seasoning to the dough between steps 1 and 2. it was a great addition.

tonight when we make it, I'm also going to make the garlic paste from last week to top it with. seriously, bread is one of my 4 favorite foods. and this bread does not disappoint.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Looks very yummy. I'm going to have to try making it.

Megan said...

Looks great...and I LOVE Nutella!