Friday, March 19, 2010

Food Day Friday: black bean chicken quesadillas

Husband loves this dish - to the point where he wants to eat it once a week!

This is another BIG recipe. We love leftovers (Husband enjoys taking something more substantial for lunch than sandwiches and I like eating big lunches because it keeps me from snacking during the day). If you're not a leftover fan, split the recipe. This recipe makes about 12 quesadillas.
What I use:
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 cans of black beans (or use dry if you'd like)
24 oz of salsa of your favorite salsa
my rule of thumb is one can of beans per chicken breast and as much salsa as you want

cheese (I use 2 16oz blocks. one colby and one colby/monterey jack blend. and grate them) you can use whatever kind you like, preshredded or block, reduced fat, whatever.

tortillas (I use all different sized tortillas. When I'm focusing on portion control, I usually get the small fajitas ones, but we also use the large burrito ones too)
cilantro (completely optional but I love the extra zing)
sour cream (also optional. I love sour cream, Husband doesn't)
extra salsa (if you want to top the quesadilla with more)

What to do:
Preheat oven on BROIL LOW

combine chicken, salsa and beans in a skillet. mix and heat until bubbly

on a nonstick cookie sheet place tortilla. on one half add cheese, 1/3 cup of the chicken/salsa/beans, more cheese (or not, depending on how cheesy you want it) and the cilantro (if you're using it) fold over.

TIP: I spray a nonstick spray on the top of the tortilla so it doesn't stick when flipped.
put the cookie sheet in the oven. check after 1 MINUTE. (yes, they burn fast) after the top has browned, flip it to brown the other side. 1 MINUTE later, remove. top and serve.

Husband's quesadilla, topped with cheese and green salsa.
My quesadilla, topped with cheese and sour cream
Daughter loves to eat a bowl of black beans/chicken/salsa, cheese and sour cream when we're eating our quesadillas

1 comment:

Nicki said...

Those look delicious! :)