Friday, April 30, 2010

Sausage and Peppers Rustica

Until Husband mentioned on Tuesday night that he bought the stuff for me to make this on Wednesday, I'll admit, I had never heard of this dish. Now after making it once, it's easy and delicious.

He was surprised I'd never heard of it and told me that it's pretty much the only thing he gets when he goes to Olive Garden. Then I reminded him that I've known him for 4 years and we've only been to Olive Garden once. And he ordered chicken scampi.

Our conversation when something like this: I bought yada yada yada yada tonight and all you need to do it blah blah blah. (those might have been his exact words.) Later I translated his words and made dinner.
Everything you need:
for the sauce: two cans of diced tomatoes, one can of sauce, Italian seasoning (I think I used about 2 tablespoons) and salt and pepper to taste.

for the sausage: 5 links of Italian sausage. (more or less depending on how much you love sausage

for the peppers: 3 cloves of garlic diced, two small onions (or one large) sliced, 3 bell peppers of various colors julienned. We had a small bag of sweet peppers from Sam's -- so I used 3 red, 3 orange, 4 yellow and there was a 1/2 of a green bell pepper in the fridge so I threw that in too

pasta: penne, I used a 1 lb box

1st I started the sauce so it had a lot of time to do its sauce thing. (when I make sauces I always add spices ONLY at the end. I think it makes the flavors bolder so I'm adding less spice overall.) So I cooked the tomatoes and sauce until the meat was browned ... let it bubble and boil then turned off the eye, added the seasoning, stirred it and covered it.
2nd I started cooking the sausage as soon as I opened the cans of tomatoes. (they take the longest to cook and I'm pretty paranoid about poisoning my family on raw meat) This is also the time to start boiling the water for the pasta.

3rd I cut all the vegetables and put them in the skillet with some olive oil. long enough to take the crispness out, but not enough to make them ridiculously limp. (I sauteed the garlic first before I added the peppers and onions because I love the smell of garlic)
4th when the sausage is cooked, let it rest and then cut it into medallions. (see I cut them all in half to make sure they were entirely cooked)
next, add the sausage and sauce to the peppers. let it bubble. by this time the pasta should be ready or very close to ready.
when the pasta is cooked, add it. I used the entire box of pasta because I have two kids who will eat pasta in tomato sauce like it's no body's business, but they aren't that interested in the sausage and peppers. There was enough that the kids ate all the pasta they wanted, Husband and I both ate our fill and there was a generous portion for Husband to have for lunch the next day.
seriously, easy. brown meat, boil noodles, make a simple sauce, and cut up and saute some vegetables.

And it's pretty fabulous. I already told Husband I'd make it again this weekend for him.

3 comments:

laurensmommy said...

thanks for sharing this recipe! This really is the only thing that Jason orders at Olive Garden (although we've probably only been there maybe 5 times since we've known each other...this is what he orders Ha!)

Nicki said...

Looks lovely! I'm not too big on sausage myself, but my hubby and little smart-mouthed ray of sunshine would LOVE this! Thanks for sharing. :)

Mandy Mc said...

This looks SO yummy. We shall have to try it soon.