Friday, May 28, 2010

Food Day Friday: Basil Butter

I've been pretty impressed by our basil output so far this season. besides tomato based sauces and pizza (well, most Italian thing we make) we don't really use basil.

But I got to thinking and we seriously have a lot that needs to be picked to make room for the new little leaves that are popping out. I could freeze it and use it later for pesto, but I decided to make a compound butter like I did with roasted garlic. Plus, I was making The Bread anyway.


The Basil, straight from the garden. washed a little to get the dirt off.

What I used:
2 sticks of room temperature butter (I used salted, so I didn't add any later)
1 cup of fresh diced basil
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
a little pepper

Blend well.


This is the mix after I slathered it on half of The Bread.

baked at 350 for 10 minutes. I would have liked to keep it in another 5 but Husband and I have varying opinions on toasted/roasted/crisped bread.
fabulous.

you could also use this on corn (I'd use the blender for a smoother consistency) or pasta.

No comments: