Friday, June 18, 2010

PESTO

I've been thinking about this pesto recipe for almost a week.

I love pesto. so I wanted it to be fabulous the first time.

and it was.

First, I should say the reason I started with 8 cups of loose packed fresh basil is because that's how much I harvested from the garden (coincidentally, that's how big my blender is too).

Second, do not skimp on the Parmesan cheese. Please don't use the green container of cheese dust. (yes, I love it too, but not for pesto) You'll be able to tell the difference.

Third, feel free to use all pine nuts or all walnuts. I used half and half. Partly because pine nuts are expensive and I wanted them to last longer.

What you need:
8 cups of loosely packed fresh basil
1 cup of extra virgin olive oil (you may want to add a little later, if the pesto is too thick to blend)
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 cup of fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup of pine nuts
1/3 cups of walnuts
3 cloves of garlic
salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg

blend until smooth



I served it with linguine. The pesto sticks to it really well.

It makes about a cup and a half. Or if you're freezing it (which I've already done and it works, freezes and thaws fabulously) it's about 24-26 ounces - depending on how thoroughly you scrape the sides of the blender. If you're freezing it, do it the same way as you would basil and olive oil.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

Oh wow, that looks and sounds wonderful! :)

Megan said...

I tried your recipe this morning on ~4 cups of fresh basil from the garden, and it worked like a charm! (I think, seeing as how I'm not sure I've ever had pesto before...).

I really like the taste of it, as opposed to just chopping up the basil and putting it in regular spaghetti and other Italian dishes. I'm looking forward to trying it with pasta. :-)

Thanks!