Friday, October 29, 2010

Food Day Friday: Husband's lasagna

Husband made lasagna a couple of weeks ago and said, "I took a couple of pictures of the lasagna because I thought you might want to blog about it." :-) How could I say no to the man who cooks me wonderful meals?

Husband used
no bake noodles (we loved them) some times He uses whole wheat and those are great too
browned ground veal and Italian sausage (when we don't have veal, he uses sausage -- but you can always use ground beef or even chicken)
shredded mozzarella in the layers and fresh on the top
blanched spinach (fresh or frozen)
ricotta
and the sauce.

The sauce is ever changing. When I ask him what he puts in it, he just says, "I try to make it not taste like spaghetti sauce." I think this has a jar of our canned tomatoes, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce and lots of basil. probably some s&p.

as for the layers:
this is what Husband told me via facebook chat

sauce on bottom of pan, noodles, meat/sauce combo, cheese, noodles, meat/sauce combo, cheese, repeat......end with a layer of noodles, covered with just sauce on top then, either put cheese on before you put it in the oven for a crust on top, or do it later for a more gooey, cheesy top.

Notice, there's not one mention of the spinach and he doesn't specify mozzarella or ricotta cheese. But you get the jist.

Next cook at 450 for about 40-45 minutes.

the whole.

a slice.

It's great. I wish he made it more often.

1 comment:

Nicki said...

Sounds (and looks) delicious!!! :)