Friday, January 21, 2011

Food Day Friday: Dinner with Dirt

We call this ABC Noodle Soup. Though it is clearly not soup. It's more like spaghetti-o.

quick and easy. By the time the water has boiled and the noodles are cooked, the sauce it ready to combine.

I use ABC noodles
a can of diced tomatoes
a couple of cans of tomato sauce
spices (usually pepper and Italian seasoning)
and a couple of Hebrew National hot dogs.

I get the sauce going (usually water is down with a can of water too because when I add the noodles at the end, it REALLY thickens up and makes it even LESS like soup). Dice the hot dogs, add the spices all while the noodle water is boiling.

boil and drain the noodles and add them to the sauce.



I use this kind of ABC noodles bc they are 68 cents at Wal-mart.

Son's bowl when he's about half way finished.
Don't you *love* how dirty that place mat is? I got them on clearance at walmart for 25 cents each at the end of summer.

It makes a lot so the kids have it for lunch/dinner a couple of times a week. Son loves it and until the most recent batch, Daughter has loved it also.
Last week she took one look at her bowl, sniffed it, declared it had dirt in it and refused to even try it.
(look closely, you can see the dirt)
In our back and forth dinner banter when I was trying to reason with her about her dirt dinner, I used the phrase, "kiddo, believe it or not, I have better things to do with my time than ruin your dinner with some dirt."

She didn't believe me and decided not to eat until breakfast the next day.

1 comment:

Nicki said...

Oh my, how that sounds familiar! Mine used to be the same way, and still is with some dishes. :P