Friday, July 1, 2011

Food Day Friday: Cremini Mushrooms and Chive Pasta

So, I guess I should start off by saying I didn't use cremini mushrooms ... because, well, this was a last minute dinner idea and the closest thing to creminis I could find at my walmart was white button mushrooms. Making a more accurate title for this post "Buttton Mushrooms and Chive Pasta" whatever.

click picture to enlarge

I followed the recipe without any deviation (beside the mushroom substitute) and it turned out really well.

What you need:
1 pound of cremini/button mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed
1/2 cup and 2 tbs of oil olive
kosher or salt, fresh cracked pepper
2-3 bunches of fresh chives (walmart only had two bunches and I wish I had a third to use)
1 lb spaghetti or angel hair pasta
freshly grated Romano cheese for serving (we used Parmesan)

What you do:
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees (for mushrooms)
Bring pot of salted water to a boil (for pasta)

Toss mushrooms in a bowl with 2 tbs of olive oil and generous pinches of salt and pepper.
Spread mushrooms in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
Roast, turning once, until tender and browned - about 10 minutes. When they are cooled, quarter

In a blender or food processor combine 1/2 cup of olive oil, chives and salt and pepper. Blend until pureed.

Cook pasta.

Combine mushrooms, pasta and chive sauce. serve.

What you get:
um. fabulous.

This is the first time I have ever roasted mushrooms and OH MY they are fantastic. seriously. The only thing I thought this dish needed (besides the third bunch of chives) was MORE mushrooms. I could have easily doubled the mushrooms. It was truly fantastic. Roasted mushrooms, where have you been all my life?

In the notes from the kitchen section, it was noted I could have used scallions instead of chives and I may try that next time ... mainly because we have them in the garden and it'll save me from having to buy chives next time.

You could probably have used portobello mushrooms too. I'm not a big mushroom connoisseur, so google can help you more than I can, but I can't imagine any fresh mushroom tasting bad roasted.

And the best part? From start (when I turned on the oven) to finish (tossing in the bowl) the entire meal took 26 minutes. AND I roasted some asparagus to have as a side in that 26 minutes. It's easy, fast and delicious. You could even "health" it up a little and serve a whole grain pasta. We just used plain ole white.

The recipe is originally from High Heat by Waldy Malouf. Good job, Waldy. It's great.

No comments: