Friday, July 15, 2011

Food Day Friday: Milk Chocolate Balsamic Truffles

It's rare that we watch the Food Network anymore (unless it's Next Food Network Star) and it's even more rare that we see a recipe we want to try. But a couple of weekends ago, it happened.

Giada was making Balsamic Chocolate Truffles. And they looked so easy to make and sounded so yummy AND I had a couple reasons to be making treats in the near future (SSS and a visit with friends in Mobile tomorrow) so I went to the store for the 2 ingredients I needed.

Giada used dark chocolate and coated them with coco. I used milk chocolate and coated them with roasted crushed almonds. I'm sure the coco tastes good with the dark chocolate, but it doesn't with the milk chocolate. Trust me.

What I used:
1 12oz bag of milk chocolate chips
a splash more than 1/4 cup of heavy cream
(when I made the first batch with just 1/4 cup and 8oz of chips the truffles never really hardened like I wanted them to -- but really, there's nothing wrong with soft truffles)
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar (more than Giada uses)
1/2 cup of crushed roasted almonds

What I did:
melt the chocolate in the cream. You can do this a few different ways. A double boiler, the microwave or how I did it. I put the chips in shallow dish, heated the cream on the stove top until ALMOST boiling and then poured the cream over the chips and stirred until the chips melted (a couple of minutes).

then add the balsamic vinegar. You're iffy about mixing balsamic vinegar into your chocolate? I was too. But I assure you, it's fabulous. Still unsure? use vanilla or a flavored liquor.

put in the fridge to set. I kept my batch in there for about a hour and a half. Now the fun/messy part.
rolling and coating the balls
seriously, your hands will get VERY chocolatey. If you're making these for someone other than yourself -- RESIST the urge to lick your fingers! I used a teaspoon and tried to make my truffles about the size of a cherry, but most of them are bigger. Husband helped me out by coated the balls after I rolled them. (and taking this picture) Then place on a lined cookie sheet and put them back in the fridge to harden.

What I got:
seriously fabulous.

How I did the almonds: I've been snacking on raw almonds A LOT lately. So I just popped a few handfuls on a tray in the toaster oven for about five minutes and when they cooled, I put them in the blender until they were fine.

You could buy already roasted almonds and blend. Husband even suggested pistachios would taste great with too. And I agree.

4 comments:

TL said...

can't wait to try this! so many possibilities! of course, there will have to be an event, because i can't just make these and have them in the house.

when you put them in the fridge, did you just pour the mixture in a glass dish?

laurensmommy said...

I have to admit, the balsamic and chocolate combo does sound interesting...I'm going to have to try it and see!

We LOVE the Food Network- but we have to DVR all our favorite shows to watch when L's sleeping. Currently, we watch: Next Foodnetwork Star, Chopped and Restaurant Impossible. :)

Christy Ross said...

Tiff: yes. I chose one that would have more surface area for the chocolate to cool and harden faster.

yesterday, I made a double batch to take to take to Mobile this weekend and it still hardened in a couple of hours.

A. Smith said...

These were awesome at SSS!! Thanks for posting your version of the resipe...making these soon.