Friday, July 8, 2011

Food Day Friday: Spinach and Tabbouleh Salad with feta and olives

WHAT A LONG NAME FOR A PRETTY EASY DISH. seriously.

This salad is in the salads section (fittingly) of the book and serves 6. We made a full batch, ate until we were stuffed and both had small serving the next day. Husband really liked the leftovers. I liked it better fresh when I could taste all the individual flavors. You can always half this recipe and still have plenty for a meal for 2.

The kids aren't so gung ho about stuff like this so they had a simple salad. They ate spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and feta. --with ranch dressing, of course. What is it with kids and ranch dressing? I know I couldn't get enough of the stuff when I was growing up.


click the picture to enlarge
What you need:
1 cup of quinoa (the recipe calls for bulgar. you could also use couscous)
1/4 cup of olive oil
the zest and juice of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt (I used a little more)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (I used a little more)
1 pint of grape tomatoes, halved (I didn't have that many, but wished I did)
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
1/2 cup of fresh chopped mint
1/2 cup of pitted kalamata olives, halved
1/2 red onion, diced
1 roasted red pepper cut into 1/2 x 2 inch strips (you can use jarred, but I love roasting them myself on the gas stove top)
6oz of feta (I have no idea how much I used, but it was more than 6oz!)
6oz of baby spinach, rough chopped

This was my favorite part of the salad
the cucumbers, tomatoes (I used all the ripe ones we had) and mint came from the garden
This is what you do:
prepare quinoa/bulgar/couscous as directed and let cool

in a small bowl wisk olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper for dressing

add tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, olives, pepper strips, feta and spinach together.

When quinoa has cooled combine all together, tossing gently to combine and distribute dressing.

This is what you get:
This was my serving. My big red serving bowls weren't big enough to hold all the salad! So we divided it and I took the picture. (Don't you love how I didn't go to any trouble to actually make the dish look better? No removing the recipe book on the right or the knife on the left or even wiping the edges of the bowl. haha. just keeping it real and trying to take the picture before I forgot!)

It really was fantastic. All the flavors mixed so incredibly well together but were still distinctive enough that they could be enjoyed separately. I really loved this meal.

And as always, you don't like kalamata olives? leave them out.
You think cucumbers are heavenly? add more.
Don't want to go to the store for mint? don't. (but you're missing out) ;-)
It's your salad. Do what you want.

This recipe originally came from an issue of Redbook (TBAR didn't specify which month) and was prepared by Frank Melodia.

3 comments:

Nicki said...

I like salads, but have never really been too adventurous past maybe adding cucumbers and spinach to a caesar, or having a simple greek. This looks and sounds like something I would like, and looks delicious! :)

re: Ranch -- yeah, funny you should mention that. I remember being obsessed with it at some point as a kid and am kind of "meh" about it now.

Christy Ross said...

I KNOW! I remember when I was a kid my dad liked Thousand Island, my mom liked Italian and the Ranch was JUST FOR US ... I can't tell you the last time I ate it without Ryland saying, "here try this broccoli and dip."

Mandy Mc said...

Yum. This sounds delish.