Friday, July 22, 2011

Food Day Friday: Sun Dried Tomato Pesto

A few summer's ago, JSS changed my life when she gave me Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. seriously. It's a great book to read if you are at all concerned about the food you put in your mouth or feed to your family.

A great feature of the book is recipes. score.

I love her sun dried tomato pesto recipe (you can find it in the book or on the website linked above) and I only tweak it a little.

Here's what I use:
2 cups of sun dried tomatoes
1 cup of walnuts
1 cup of olive oil
1/3 cup of grated Parmesan (the fresher the better)
1/4 cup of dried basil (or 1/2 cup of fresh basil)
4 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
salt to taste

Here's what I did:
combine all in blender or food processor until well blended. I usually have to add a little extra olive or water just to thin it out a little, store in fridge.

Here's what I got:
served on THE bread

a close up ... sort of resembles a very meaty marinara sauce, huh?
I've only served it on The bread, but I think if you thinned it out much more (with olive oil and water) it'd be great on pasta as a side dish.

I really love this recipe. First, because I use the Juliets out of my garden (it takes about 70 tomatoes to get enough for 2 cups when dried -- but that was only about 3 days of picking for this batch). Second, I used fresh basil from the garden. Third, I do really love garlic ... but this time I used GIGANTIC cloves and could taste garlic for days. Next time I will probably roast the cloves for a more mellow taste.

You don't have 7 Juliet tomato plants in your back yard or the 5 hours it takes to "sun dry" tomatoes in the oven? easy - use store bought. making your prep time about 5 minutes. seriously easy and seriously good.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Everyone should read that book. Of course, it just made me paranoid and my dream of a garden bigger but it really is a good book.