Friday, August 19, 2011

Food Day Friday: Linguine with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

I've been purging a lot lately. Clothes, purses, shoes, books, dvds, baby things.  I hold on to all my old Southern Living magazines for the recipes.  I don't like tearing them out, so the whole issue stays.  Well, in my desire to "get rid of"  I found The Southern Living 2010 Annual Recipes book for $10 on amazon. score.  That's 12 magazines I can donate.  When it arrived I looked through it and bookmarked recipes I already use, easy dinner ideas I'd forgotten about, fun things to try, and splendid desert splurges.

The Linguine with Sun-Dried Tomatoes in February made my mouth water as soon as I read it and because I had everything for it in the house already I tried it the next day!  I couldn't believe I didn't bull's eye this one in February!


What I used:
1lb of linguine ( I used spaghetti)
1 cup of sun dried tomatoes soaked in 2 tablespoons of olive oil (the recipe calls for 1 7oz jar in oil, a much easier option)
1/3 cup of pine nuts (recipe called for 1/4 cup but I wanted more)
6 garlic cloves, minced (recipe called for 3 but I wanted more)
1/4 cup of olive oil
4oz of crumbled feta (I have no clue how much I used bc it comes off a block, but I just tried to make it balance)
4 tablespoons of fresh basil, rough chopped (recipe called for 2 tablespoons) 
the only "in process" picture I managed to take.  basil, tomatoes, pine nuts and garlic
                                  
 What I did:
1. Prepare pasta according to directions.

2. If you're using jarred tomatoes, drain them and save 2 tablespoons of the oil.
What I did: In the morning, I dried the tomatoes (for 5 hours) after they were dried, I soaked them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until time to start cooking, then I drained them, saving the oil.

3. toast pine nuts in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.  stir often. (about 5 minutes or until toasty and fragrant)   remove from skillet when finished.  I know pine nuts are expensive, but I really suggest not skipping them.  They add a GREAT crunch to the dish.

4. saute garlic in the 1/4 cup of olive oil AND the oil from the tomatoes for about a minute or until fragrant.  stir in tomatoes and remove from heat.

5. Toss together tomatoes/garlic, hot cooked pasta, feta, basil and pine nuts.

What I got:
seriously the best meal I've had in weeks.
This was one of those super easy meals that by the time your water has boiled and your pasta has cooked everything else is ready and waiting for it to be tossed together.

The sweetness of the tomatoes and the saltiness of the feta ... wow.  the basil.  the crunch of the pine nuts.  The garlic and tomato infused olive oil.  WOW.  This really is my new favorite meal.  Husband agreed too.  It's a big hit in our house.

And as an added bonus, it's made from stuff that we already had in the kitchen or garden.  In the winter and spring we'll have to buy jar tomatoes and fresh basil but during summer and most of fall, we are READY.

1 comment:

Husband said...

Damn good stuff.....can't wait till we do it again.