Friday, February 15, 2013

Food Day Friday: My favorite granola

Husband bought a HUGE box of rolled oats at the end of the summer with the idea of using it in our smoothies. Well, that's great.  But it was the end of the summer, getting colder and we don't drink smoothies much when it's cold.  COFFEE.  COFFEE in our veins.  So for months, the Quaker Oat Man has been in my pantry taking up lots of space in with his bulk sized packaging.  Husband suggested we make granola.  Oats, honey and raisins, he thought.  Easy.

Well, I start googling recipes and it was a little more involved than just oats, honey and raisins.  But not much. Most of the recipes are the same except for give or take an ingredient or two.  So, I decided to base our recipe on Alton Brown's.  Seriously, I can not think of an Alton Brown recipe we've ever tried and not liked.  ever.  Actually, our smoothie recipe started off based on his also.

Anyway, here's the recipe for our current favorite snack and the reason I have more space in my pantry.


What you need:
3 cups of oats (not instant)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
3 tbl light brown sugar
1/2 tea cinnamon
1/4 tea salt

1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup veg oil (I use coconut oil now)
1 tea vanilla (I use 1/2 tea vanilla and 1/2 tea almond extract)

1/2 cup dried fruit (I use crasins)
1/2 cup nuts (I use almond slivers that I pretoast)

What you do: 
heat oven to 300 and plan on using the middle rack

combine oats, coconut, sugar, cinnamon and salt.

in a separate bowl combine honey, oil and vanilla until mixed completely.  then combine wet and dry. (It'll be a sticky mess at first.  Once the honey warms up in the oven, stirring will be much easier)

Place in large sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway.  continue baking at 5 minute intervals (stirring in between) until oats and coconut brown.

And it's going to smell amazing.

Remove from oven, add fruit and nuts and continue stirring at intervals until cool.  Store in air tight container at room temperature.



What you get:

cooling

the artsy fartsy view

No comments: