Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A neglected WIP - picture frame quilt

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


First, I slowly gathered the fabric for this quilt. (every time I went by Hobby Lobby, I'd stop in and get either a fq bundle or jelly roll of this fabric collection with my 40% off coupon or I'd snag a yard of Kona white)

Second, I slowly cut fabric for it.  The "pictures" or inside material are 6inch squares and the "frames" or outside material is 2.5 inch strips. I thought that was a good balance in dimensions and it makes the jelly rolls a dream to manage. hardly any cutting necessary.

Third, I slowly started assembling the blocks. As you can see below, I've only finished 31 blocks and I'm no where near half way finished.  In fact, I could probably make two decent sized lap quilts with all the fabric.

I started sewing this in the summer and since my main machine broke (currently in the shop getting fixed) in October, I haven't done anything but admire the fabric. But the machine should be finished within the week and back to work soon.

There's still two kinds of fabric I haven't even used yet.  I really love the bright vibrancy of this bundle. Mainly, the bold orange and pale blue combo. 

When all the blocks are completed, I'll decide how big I want the quilt to be and if there is enough for two.  I'll sew the blocks directly together and, as of right now, I have no plans for sashing or bordering.  or what the backing will be, for that matter!


finished blocks on the design wall

a closer view to get a better idea of the fabric detail

3 comments:

Tara said...

I love the colors here!

Steph Jacobson said...

Very pretty & I love the colors! This is one of the quilts on my very long to-do list.

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. I like the simple design.