I've been busy the last couple of weeks turning Daughter's room from a toddler room to a bigger girl's room. Out with the toddler bed and all the lady bug stuff from waaaay back when she was in a crib. And on to a twin bed, a night stand, a vanity with a stool and a chest of drawers. I was incredibly fortunate that my mom told me I could have all my old furniture for Daughter.
That was great to hear, especially after I spent a couple of days pricing furniture. WOWZA.
Ok, well, the title of this blog isn't "Daughter's New Room" so on to the main event. The quilt for her new bed.
Thanks to my new purchase, The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt, I had great inspiration. I decided to do an entire quilt of Block 39: Friendship. But seriously, those blocks are like 6.5 inches finished. There was no way I was going to make an entire twin sized quilt out of 6.5 inch blocks. So I enlarged the templates and PRESTO: 11.5 blocks. Much easier.
I've spent hours cutting and sewing and sewing and sewing and sewing and this is where I am now:
|the top row is completely put together and the rest is pieced.|
I used 12 different fabrics. I based the color scheme on 3 fabrics. If something matched those 3 fabrics, they were in!
|the top left and both bottom fabrics are the 3 main matchers. (FINALLY , I found a use for the bird and fern fabric that makes me happy!)|
The pink polka dots fabric is actually the new "theme" of the room. I made her valances, bed skirt and dollhouse cover out of it. And I'm planning on putting a border of it around the quilt and two yards of it on the back. I haven't decided on the entire back, quilting or binding yet ...
The pink loving girl is in love with her new room and hopefully I'll have made some progress for a bigger reveal next week!