Friday, August 26, 2011

Food Day Friday: Hot Dog(s)

I love hot dogs, but WOW, am I particular about them.

First, We only buy Hebrew Nationals or Nathan's. You remember those red Zeiglers you ate hundreds of as a kid? man, I loved those things, but there's no way I'd eat one today.

Second, I prefer them grilled like when I was a kid. But we have a charcoal grill unlike the gas my parents have. So sticking them in the oven on broil or the toaster oven on toast is a much easier option. Boiled? gag me with a spoon.

Third, toppings. I like my hot dogs two ways.
1. with mustard, sneaky pete's sauce (when we have it) and sour kraut -- that's been dried a little. I don't like the bun to get soggy.
2. with texas pete sauce and white diced onions and when we have them crushed up dip style golden flake potato chips.
And now that I've typed this out, I'm beginning to think I'm not the unpicky eater I think I am. ;-) maybe I'm a little picky or borderline obsessive.

How do you like your hot dogs, if at all?


6 comments:

Mandy Mc said...

OH, yum. We love Hebrew National Hot Dogs too. I like mine with ketchup only or maybe with a little mustard and ketchup. Great, now I want a hot dog. Thanks a lot.

Bethy said...

i prefer to eat brats. not that there is much difference but in my head they aren't as disgusting as hot dogs. i like mine with mustard and kraut or with cheese and chili. MMMM.

Ashley Smith ~ The Primary Source said...

I totally have to be in the mood for one, but we also only eat those two brands!

I like

1) a tiny amount of ketchup, lots of Nathan's Hot Dog mustard, onions, and Wickles relish

2) chicago style

Andrea said...

We love to grill hot dogs too...son is a hot dog fanatic! I love them with chili and cheese...or I'm boring with just plain ole ketchup.

Lee said...

I can't stand the smell of a hot dog cooking in the house. I am not particular about the brand because I just try not to think about what I am eating.

Chips on a dog?! Gotta try.

Nicki said...

I'm a stickler for Bryan's chicken/pork hotdogs. No boiling, no way, no how! They *MUST* be grilled and topped with either: chilli and French's mustard, or: spicy mustard and ketchup. :)