Monday, August 22, 2011

The Beginnings of a New Quilt Project

a "rainbow" of colors, 2 fabrics in each tone

what 20 fat quarters look like when cut into 5inch charms and stacked in rainbow order
A couple of weeks ago, I went into Jo-ann to get some basting spray.  I've been putting off quilting the place mats because I didn't want to bother with pinning them all.  JSS suggested basting spray and after I saw her spray a baby quilt, I was sold.

So, anyway, I go into Jo-ann with my coupon for basting spray and what happens EVERY time I go into Jo-ann, I get hypnotized by sales.  Lots of sales.   I ended up with basting spray, thread, 20 fat quarters in a rainbow theme, another 7 for a big tote bag and matching pouch, and a zipper for the pouch.  (plus some fabric Daughter picked out)

27 fat quarters.  yes.  wow.  That's a lot.  But they are regular $1.99 and on sale for .99.  When I broke down the price per yard it was easier and cheaper to get these little babies instead of picking out a buggy full of bolts of fabric and standing in a ridiculous line to have them cut.  I was proud of my bargain.

It took me awhile to decide what I wanted to turn this rainbow theme into.  And actually, Daughter was the one who decided.I have lots of quilts pinned on pinterest (click to check out my evolving boards) and even more bookmarked on my toolbar.  Daughter was so excited about all the rainbow colors, and I didn't actually have a purpose for this quilt (besides just wanting to have something to sew) so I decided to let her pick from about 8 of my "to-do" quilts and make it a little bigger (twin bed size) so she can use it later on her bed.  Or that's the plan right now anyway.

I have made a strict rule with myself that I cannot start piecing it until I finish the place mats.  (I already finished the tote and pouch!)

No comments: