Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Great Pretender

On a recent library trip, Husband picked up The Great Pretender by Millenia Black for me.

After reading the back of the book, I was definitely intrigued.

TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE BACK OF THE BOOK:
One man. Two lives.

For over six years, Reginald Brooks pulled it off. Having two families, leading two lives. Now the pretending must stop.

The Great Pretender. An electrifying tale of how one man tries to untangle his life, setting a full-fledged arena of wife against husband, lover against lover, friend against friend, family against family. Once you begin this engaging tale, you witness how one man's decision to pretend ricochets through the lives of several people.

Husband definitely did well with this pick. I really enjoyed the drama and wrong decision after wrong decision. In fact, I worked myself into quite a lather at the ridiculous choices these people kept making. I read it at a much quicker pace than I've allowed myself for books lately. It really pulled me in.

The emotions were real and very believable. I felt the anger, happiness, love, rejection, fear, betrayal right along with the characters. It was a real page turner for me.

Aside from not being able to counsel these people myself, I enjoyed it.

The only part I didn't like or think was entirely believable was the part that actually set the wheels of the story into motion. I'm not giving anything way because it's stated right there in the prologue, the double life ends because Reginald feels guilty. I just don't think that's quite believable. For over 6 years he's able to live with and carry on this lie and then suddenly he's just struck down with guilt? nah. Both women trust him completely and have no clue about his other life, but guilt makes him stop? nah. It's a nice thought, but I don't believe it's real world practice.

But I did like the book and I do wish that someone I know will read it so that we can yell together at each other about the ending.








2 comments:

Ashley Smith ~ The Primary Source said...

I will have to check this out since I just finished my last book I had downloaded!

Kim said...

Is this a suggestion for the book club then??