Friday, August 14, 2009

the first of many: a busy day of blogging.

I finished reading _The Lord of the Flies_ last night. and I've decided that because I don't want to include any spoilers I'm not going to really talk much about the plot. Well, can I talk much about the characters? eh, not without giving away more than you can get on the back cover. now my "reviews" are going to be very bare bones, hopefully just enough to get you interested enough to make you go to your book shelf, public library or book store.



I first read this book in high school and there was one part at the end that was in the back of my head the entire time I was reading the book. but there was a completely separate instance before it that I totally forgot about. This really is such a great book. with the themes, metaphors and the fact that it's an allegory. It's easy to read and easy to follow. wonderfully written.

I'd say the part that bothers me the most about the entire book, is surprising. The boys are on the island because the survived an airplane crash (that killed all the adults) but the plane is NEVER mentioned again. seriously. They never returned to the wreckage to look for supplies or shelter. I would've at least liked a sentence that said something like, "the plane was reduced to thousands of little pieces, yet these boys survived, but will they survive themselves?" well, maybe not that sentence because it sounds more like the tag line for a movie than something William Golding would've written. how about, "and the wreckage was drug out to sea?" yes. I could live with that.

Anyway. My two favorite quotes are both on the same page. Ralph, Jack and Simon are exploring the island.

  • He wanted to explain how people were never quite what you thought they were.
  • They walked along, two continents of experience and feeling, unable to communicate.

To me, the most interesting thing about this book is that is was written in response to _Coral Island_ a similar story where 3 boys are shipwrecked on an island. so now I want to find and read _Coral Island_.

Next, I'm reading _A Separate Peace_ I had to read it in ninth or tenth great for Honors English and loved it.

1 comment:

Rita Bird said...

Thanks for keeping us updated, I must admit I was not a fan of Catcher in the Rye. I still try to go back and read it every few years just to see if my thoughts have changed... alas, not yet.
I do however, LOVE Lord of the Flies, I think after I read it the first time, I started over immediately.
I remember A Separate Peace to be good, but it's been since high school since I've read it.