Friday, April 9, 2010

Pride and Prejudice AND ZOMBIES

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.

Remember approximately three years ago when I got all hyped up about all these great classics I was reading and rereading? and then I just stopped.

I think I made it through 2 or 3 books. Since then I've read a lot of non-classics. Well, non-classics in the sense that they won't be on any Honors or AP English reading lists.

I've read/listened to on audio book the Harry Potter Series.
read the Twilight books.
read the Sookie Stackhouse series.
and about 2 dozen more various this and that books.

OH. I just remembered two worth mentioning by name: The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver and In Cold Blood by Truman Capote [post to come later for ICB] Great books.

Anyway, today I bring you Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I read Jane Austen's original work in high school and will forever enjoy Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. so I definitely knew the story when I picked up this jewel.

I originally heard about it on a segment on Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me! and thought, I like zombies. I should read this some time.

With a gift card I received for Christmas, I headed to Books-a-Million.

I really liked it. Seth Grahame-Smith managed to seamlessly weave zombies into this classic so that I don't think I can read the original again with thinking of Elizabeth Bennet's amazing sparring skills (and not just verbal sparring this time). He did a great job of making these zombies so a part of the story, there's no question that they don't belong there.

And it made me want to rent Night of the Living Dead and watch my copy of Shaun of the Dead (my two favorite zombie movies)


"They're coming for you Barbara"

1 comment:

Tina said...

Totally enjoyed the sacrilege that is PP&Z. I can not get behind Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters but Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter sounds interesting.