Thursday, July 30, 2009

something to read - a new saga

I have books. lots of books. serious, tongue and cheek, scary, thought provoking, entertaining, empowering, nonesense, good to own books. lots of books. most of them I hope you've read or at least have on your to read list. Maybe some you've never heard of. Maybe some, after I mention them you'll go back and reread now that it's not high school or college required reading and it'll mean something completely different for you now.

My books are in bookcases and shelves in the office, in Daughter's room (my extensive Children's book collection resides there) and in the Master bedroom (The Judson related books live there and you'd probably be surprised with how many I have.) Well, the ones in the office are right here to my right. I look at them multiple times a day, but really, have little time to sit down and read or reread them these days.

but hopefully Something to Read will be more than a monthly update as I go back and read/reread books I own and tell you a little about why I love them and why you should read them. I picked up _Catcher in the Rye_ a couple of weeks ago to reread for probably the 5th or 6th time because I heard about _60 Years Later: Coming Through the Rye_ by John David California (pseudonym) a stand alone sequel of _Catcher in the Rye_ that has J.D. Salinger all up in arms and suing about its release. (As far as I can tell, it's only being released in England, but I'm sure if you try hard enough you can get a copy stateside).

Here are a couple of links if you're interested in the story:
from Reuters and The Book Seller in the UK
Talk of the Nation also did a bit on it, I'm sure you can find it at npr.org

So, the news story reminded me of good ole Holden Caufield and how he hates phonies. I wanted to see if my view of him has changed since the last time I read about his crazy New York City weekend.

Anyway, it has but I won't give you the actual 'review' until I'm finished reading.

I'm a habitual underliner and highlighter when I read and it's always interesting to go back and see what I thought was important/interesting enough to break out the pen or highlighter for previously. maybe I'll include some of my past high lights.

go get started on _Catcher in the Rye_ and I'll try to finish it up by the end of the week.

1 comment:

Rita Bird said...

YEA! What a great idea. I am so excited you are doing this and I even thought at one time about doing an online book club.
I am interested to see what you think of Catcher in the Rye this go round as I have certain opinions myself.

Look forward to see what you read next.