Friday, May 7, 2010

popcorn ... a healthy snack.

No. Not microwave popcorn. That's gross. Hot air popped pop corn. Fluffy fresh popcorn faster than in the microwave AND way better for you.

Meet my pop corn popper. Its name is Presto Poplite
There's also the question of what kind of kernels to use. Yellow kernels are standard. They're the ones you see most often at the grocery store. Publix sells white kernels. I love them. They pop into smaller pieces but they taste better. But the holy grail of popping corn is the purple/red/black kernel. You know the kind companies make dark corn chips out of. Those kernels are fabulous. They pop even smaller but they've got such a good taste, I don't have to add ANY toppings.

ah. Toppings. Daughter loves a little (or a lot of) parmesan cheese.

I like about a tablespoon of melted butter, a little chili powder and a little parmesan cheese. Unless I can get my hands on red/blue/black kernels -- then it's plain.

I've also heard that the packets you use to make ranch and Italian dressing are good too.

yes, yes, I know. The more toppings you add, the less healthy your snack becomes.

4 comments:

Nicki said...

Your husband gave me an air popper years ago that I've loved and used ever since! (the top part is a Taz head! :))

My little one loves hers swimming in Parmesan also. A light coating of cinnamon and sugar make for a great alternative to butter for me. (And yes, the dry ranch packets are GREAT! :))

I have a small package of purple kernels that a friend gave me for Christmas. I'd held off popping them, but think I will this weekend. :)

Erin Caden Rogers said...

I'm inspired!!! Must obtain an air popper! I love popcorn but hate it microwaved. When I was little, my mom used to make it on the stovetop in her big heavy pot....i think its still the best popcorn I've ever had. She would also melt butter on the stovetop and put a little salt and lots of fresh ground pepper in the melted butter and toss in the popcorn...heaven! I have never tried the parmesan but I will now!

Tina said...

You stole my popper! :-)

I love it so much. It was great in Indiana because we could find all sorts of great colored popping corn. I also agree the white is much better than the yellow.

laurensmommy said...

Yummy! I LOVE popcorn! We need to invest in a good popper and some toppings! :)