Friday, July 2, 2010

food day friday: "sun dried" (oven actually) tomatoes

There's a sun dried tomato pesto recipe in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle that I've been interested in trying since I first read the book. I just haven't wanted to buy sun dried tomatoes. But now I can make them.

These are the Juliets. They very closely resemble the Roma (which is the most common tomato used for pastes and sun drying ... I did not know this until I started googling how to sun dry tomatoes)

I only did 3 because this was my first attempt and I didn't want to mess up a dozen or so tomatoes.

preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
slice tomatoes length wise
place on a elevated cookie sheet (I used the grate thing on top so the tomatoes wouldn't be touching the cookie sheet (better air flow)
sprinkle with salt

at about hour 3 I had to turn the tomatoes so they wouldn't fall through the cracks. (no, I didn't think of that ahead of time).

total cooking time: 6 hours.
It might have been less if I wasn't opening the oven every hour to check on them.

they were pretty fabulous. This was definitely NOT enough to make the dried tomato pesto, but it was enough for me to want to eat about a dozen more.

1 comment:

Erin Caden Rogers said...

ummm, yummy. I need to try this with our Juliets!