Tuesday, July 27, 2010

goodbye to the squash?

maybe.

These are the squash plants today. Still growing and producing lots of squash and, quite frankly, covered in squash bug eggs.
After I took this picture, I spent almost an hour looking at every.single. leave on all four squash plants and on both butter nut squash vines. I killed 6 squash bugs and maybe over a hundred eggs. And I'll have to do it all again this evening. and tomorrow. and the day after that.

That's an hour that I was outside sweating. An hour that my kids were sitting in front of the television (watching Sesame Street). An hour of my day that I could have spent doing a dozen other things I need to be doing.

I know last time I mentioned my squash bug problem, I said that I was going to conquer them, blah blah blah. Squash bugs weren't going to kill my plants, yada yada yada.

But, I'm tired. And possibly getting a little burned out on eating squash. And to top it off, Husband told me this weekend that he only really likes squash fried. that's it. So the half a dozen other ways I've been preparing it now seem like a waste of time.

I'm not big on cooking things if I'm the only one eating/enjoying it. I'd rather do something else.

So, now I'm thinking about pulling up the squash plants and concentrating on the butternut squash and the rest of the garden. The only thing stopping me is the fact that I hate quitting. And that's how I see this. I'll be quitting.

eh, I need a new mindset. I'm tired of wasting my time on the squash that is no longer bringing me joy. Why should I bother if it's only misery? now, I just need to keep thinking on this for a little bit.

one of the butternut squash
joy.

another. more joy.

These are all the squash that I've picked but haven't done anything with yet. A friend posted a squash and pasta recipe on facebook a few days ago and I've decided to try that tomorrow. (but it'll only take 3 or 4 squash. fry the rest for Husband, I suppose!)
you can also see the banana peppers and some of the tomatoes I'm about to can. YES. can. exciting stuff.

2 comments:

Erin Caden Rogers said...

Do y'all like squash casserole? I make mine with eggs, butter, whole wheat ritz, cabot white cheddar cheese and a little ranch dressing mix. Then, freeze this mixture in aluminum pie pans and eat all fall and winter long. Yummo. Srsly, yummo. I will post my recipe! I have 5 in my deep freeze now, hoping to get another 15-20 in the next couple of weeks. We love squash casserole;)

Lee said...

Slice the squash and freeze them and then you can have fried squash all year long. That is really the only way I will eat squash too but I want to try your squash chip recipe.

Let us know how canning turns out...I am slightly scared of it.

Death to squash bugs....we will conquer them next year.