Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Basil Came Back the Very Next Day

Garden Fatigue.  I have it.  I get it every year.  It's nothing that's a surprise.  Husband and I even talked about it when we were planting this fall.  

For nearly 3 years I completely ignored the garden, including the basil and mint.  I didn't pick anything.  I didn't water anything and no one else did either and it wasn't raining.  Things started to die and I can't say that I was a little glad.  Because as much as I love the garden, sometime in mid August when it's 100 degrees outside the last thing I want to do is water plants, pick vegetables and ward off bugs.  The garden ceases being something I love and begins to be a chore.

A couple of weekends ago it rained and rained.  I'm talking actual rain that lasted over 72 hours straight.  And the temperature cooled off.  And my garden was reborn.  (and I don't mind so much)

I thought the basil and mint were completely dead 3 weeks ago.  Now  new plants are sprouting from seeds the old plants gave off and new branches are growing on the old plants.
wow, look at all those baby basil plants.
I didn't take any pictures of the tomatoes, but I have been picking them again.  And after pruning dead branches, they are back too. Since it's cooled off, it's nice to be back out there.  The kids playing, the dogs running around and for a few more weeks, the garden growing.

No comments: