Thursday, October 20, 2011

Done it List Revised

Sometimes I like to clean.  Most of the time, I do not.  But, well, if I wanted to never clean up after anyone but myself, I probably shouldn't have gotten married and most certainly shouldn't be procreated - TWICE.

sigh.  

Husband and I divide the household chores pretty evenly.  If one of us sees something that needs to be done, we do it. And as the kids get older they are getting better about learning to clean up after themselves.  But the truth of the matter is, I am the responsible adult who is home most of the time.  I should be the one taking on most of this responsibility.  And I don't want my husband to think all the kids and I do during the day is think of ways to trash our house and then do it.

About a month ago I found something on pinterest that keeps with my Done It list idea.  Well, I think it's actually a little more fun than my spiral notebook.  -- I just can't keep record of my cleaning beyond one week.  (man, I am such a nerd)

Anyway, I bought the picture frame at Wal-mart, filled the holes with card stock I've had for a decade (and on the card stock I wrote the things I would be recording: Dinner, rooms cleaned, laundry done and loads of dishes done) Then just wrote on the glass the things I did that day.

I've discovered I'm much more productive when I have a list right in front of me of the things I've done.  Plus, I've committed myself to doing at least one load of laundry a day so it doesn't pile up.  And doing at least one load of dishes a day.  That used to use Husband's job exclusively, but since he's started his new job, he's a lot more tired.  So, I thought one load of dishes a day is not going to kill me ... and so far it hasn't. And that's 20 more minutes Husband gets to spend with us instead of in front of the sink.

BTW, I named my board "Do it! OR be dirty AND hungry!"   I thought that was a little better than things I've done today.

the full board.  I haven't put it up on the wall yet.
Also, in the bottom right hand corner I keep up with  the physical activity I did during the day.  Either W for weights or R/P for Run to the Park (with the kids)
what I did a few Tuesdays ago.  We had biscuits and gravy, sausage and fruit for dinner.  I made tea and lemonade (Husband is on an Arnold Palmer kick and YES, I do consider that a chore worth writing on the board, esp since I don't drink the tea or the lemonade), I washed Husband's whites, loaded the dishwasher once and ran to the park with the kids.
It's been fun to do and I like writing down things after I've done them.  But I'm sure, just like the done it list, I will eventually get bored and have to think of another way to make doing adult things more fun.  wine as a reward? possible.

2 comments:

brookebrenee said...

You knew I would love this one...

Raylene Pate said...

I'm gonna borrow this idea!