Wednesday, July 20, 2011

First Tomato Canning of the Season

HURRAY!
There was actually a 5th pint that I didn't completely fill, so it's in the fridge and I forgot about it when I took the picture!

It may only be 2 quarts but to me, it's A LOT. My original goal was to can last week before we left for Mobile, but I kept putting it off and putting it off. Finally, after another big picking day on Tuesday, I decided to start canning at 9:00pm. seriously. I thought it was a fabulous idea. (And I sure slept great by the time my head hit the pillow 3 hours later!)

I used the kids' Husky Cherry Reds, Rutgers, Homesteads and of course the tomatoes that are coming out of our ears -- the Juliets.

I really like the Rutgers and Homesteads. I researched them before I got them to make sure they were good for canning and WOW. They are so meaty and have so few seeds. Truly a canner's dream. I'll definitely grow these next year.

I used the kids' tomatoes because, well, they aren't that interested in eating them and I'm not that interesting in them rotting on the vine. I think because the kids love to water and check on their tomatoes, they can each have a plant again next year, but I'll get something much more canning friendly - probably Romas.

Can you tell I'm already making plans for next year's garden? I may or may not already have a chart drawn up showing what goes where ... I do.

Anyway, I'm so excited about these 4 jars. I'm imagining curries, soups, stews, chilis, sauces ... wow. And also thinking about how many more jars are to come.

I've decided to make Saturday (or Sunday depending on how our weekends shape out) "Official Canning Day" That way Husband will be home to help and we won't be staying up late when we're already tired from long days. So I'll just save tomatoes (using what I want as I go) and then come Official Canning Day, we will do just that ... officially can. ;-)

2 comments:

Lee said...

I wish my husband would help me but then again he has to be home to do that.

Pickles today. Maybe tomatoes and then hopefully blueberry jam/jelly this week. I even broke down and bought a big pot.

Ashley Smith ~ The Primary Source said...

YAY!! We canned 8 quarts the other day and may be doing it again this weekend...my dad apparently thinks he needs to feed the whole block!