Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Membership Day at McWane? sure. um, NO.

Saturday was "Membership Day" at Mcwane. We had no idea what that meant until we got there and the place was C.R.O.W.D.E.D. like I've never ever seen before. ever. An employee handed me a piece of paper that listed all these organizations/attractions in Birmingham that included McWane, the zoo, Vulcan, The Ballet, The Alabama Theatre, the art museum, the Civil Rights Museum and the public library. Basically, they, (and many other places that I'm forgetting now) all partnered together so that members of ALL these organizations could get into ANY of these organizations for free. all.day.long.


Sigh. This would have been fabulous to know BEFORE we got to McWane. Sure, it was listed on the website, but there was no description of what membership day actually was. So, it was close to 100 degrees and anyone with a library card could get into McWane for free. Genius idea if you want people to visit your attraction for free for the possibility of loving it and paying to come later. Horrible idea if you're already a member and just want to enjoy an afternoon with your kids.


After about 45 minutes the kids were still having a fantastic time but the noise level (WHAT WAS WITH ALL THE SCREAMING UNATTENDED CHILDREN?!) and the crowd, I was done.


It was 3:30 and not getting any hotter outside ... Hey, let's go to the zoo. For free. Admission for a family of 4 to the zoo is $46 and that's if you don't ride the train or the carousel.


I was optimistic about the zoo and it really turned out to be a fantastic family adventure. I loved it, the kids loved it, Husband at least acted like he mostly loved it. Great fun.


the only picture from McWane. Listening to the ocean. See Daughter's yellow bruise under her eye? That's what's left over from falling off the futon in Mobile!

Son's favorite. This big guy was roaring and roaring and ROARING some more. It was pretty amazing. But by the time I grabbed the camera, he'd tired himself out!

Daughter's favorite again.

Son actually said, "I go pet 'dem." Ok, good luck, buddy.
It was a lot of fun walking around seeing everything I didn't get to see after the 5K. I think we saw everything. Then we went to the children's part. They didn't go there last time so we all got to discover it together. Splash pad, butterfly house, petting zoo, nature walk and the carousal (which we didn't ride) - oh my. It was fun.


we didn't bring bathing suits, but that didn't stop anyone.

Daughter didn't even have a change of clothes. So the best I could do for her was take off her dress, wring it out well and put it back on her. She didn't mind at all. They both loved the water.

Daughter petting a goat

Son petting a goat. I'm not going to lie. I think I had the most fun with the goats. Everyone was ready to leave WAY before I was!

We all took turns getting very close to this rooster. I think he was our tour guide because he followed us around the petting zoo for awhile!

Daughter petting a sheep.

She was singing Old MacDonald to the rooster.

Son taking his turn. "cock-a-doo-loo-doo, roos-der."

"look, Mommy, we found a bunny."

And then we REALLY did find a bunny!

"I say ROOOOOOAAAAAR like 'de lion."




Sigh, it really was so much fun. We stayed about 2.5 hours and I just kept marveling about how I never would have imagined the zoo could be this great especially when it was so hot outside!

No comments: