Friday, September 30, 2011

SBS Blocks 10, 11 & 12

I kept putting off and putting off these 3 squares.  Oh, and I put them off some more. I seem to have lost a bit of my sewing mojo since I've moved downstairs. 

WAIT. WHAT?  I move downstairs to my own sewing space and suddenly I'm not excited to sew anymore?  eh, something like that.  It's hard to explain.  But when I did sit down and put all three of these together Wednesday night, it definitely felt great.  So maybe the sewing slump is nearing an end.  

Here's hoping anyway.

For this series we focused on Quarter Square Triangles and Improvisational Piecing.  Quarter Square Triangles? loved.  Improvisational Piecing? negative.  I seemed to forget how to add seam allowances, making my improv pieces much smaller than needed. Which meant more sewing and add-on pieces.

blocks 10, 11, and 12
Block 10: The Ohio Star
Super easy.  And I liked the idea of a blue/green block because I already have a red/green block.
Block 11: Beacon Light
I liked making the smaller quarter triangle squares but I didn't like improving the pieces.  But I do like the finished result.  Except the whole time I was making it, I pictured the top being what is the right side in the picture.  So that's throwing me off looking at it.  Sure, I could've gone back outside and taken another picture but, eh.  
Block 12: Improv House and Tree
I hated this one but it's all my fault.  I'd originally  planned on the roof to have eaves (hang over the sides of the house), but then I had to cut it down a little so the whole house could fit in the block and there still be enough room for as much "grass" and sky above the house that I wanted. Truth be told, I'm disappointed in the block because it's not what I wanted it to look like, but as Husband said, "It looks great and you're the only person who thinks it should look different."  I thought about redoing it but I don't want to waste fabric so I'm leaving it as a reminder to pay better attention. As a first attempt it's not bad, but I know it could be better.
I really did like making the Quarter Square Triangles.  I think I could make those all day long.

Because Connecting Threads (the GREAT website where I bought this fabric) currently has it on clearance, I'm thinking about buying a few of the prints/colors that I didn't get the first go around just for a little extra diversity ... and because my biggest fear is that I may run out of fabric before I'm finished!!

1 comment:

Rita Bird said...

Actually, my favorite is the house and tree!


Good job