Friday, April 29, 2011

I love: my tumbleweed composter & the soil it makes

Husband got me this composter (a Tumbleweed) for Mother's Day 2 year's ago. Um, I was pretty much ecstatic.

That's right. Putting our kitchen scraps and leaves in a green bin and spinning it every few days had me over the moon. (It also majorly cut the amount of garbage that was being picked up weekly. well, that and recycling. We started both at the same time.)


See all that dirt/soil on the ground below it? I took this picture right after I COMPLETELY emptied it for the first time in 2 years!

And dumped it all in the garden. I love how dark and rich the soil looks compared to the garden that I put it on!
It's so neat to me how our orange peels, banana peels, coffee grounds, onion skins, celery ends, carrot peels, etc and lots of leaves turn into dirt/soil/compost.

Hopefully, this means we'll get the garden started soon. But that's for another post. Perhaps one for tomorrow. ;-)

1 comment:

laurensmommy said...

how cool! I can't wait for us to be in a house again, I totally would love to compost and garden for that matter. We throw away so much that could be recycled/re-used. :(