Thursday, April 21, 2011

Second Saturday quilt finished

The material for Son's quilt came yesterday. I decided I needed to get the show on the road and get them both finished.

Daughter's has been sitting in a shelf for over a week with nothing left to do but the binding. So I finally just did it. I should have worked slower. It really does look like a mess close up. One of the corners looks amazing. The others? Not really so much. And when I was basting it, I made the mistake of letting the back slip a little in a couple of places, making the back look a little off. It's won't win any prizes. Not even a beginner prize in an 8 year old division, but I'm proud of it and I know Daughter will love it. She's definitely enjoyed popping in at various points of the process to "help."

I used Ivy as the border color. If you look closely there are four Ivy squares in the quilt. I thought it would compliment the green polka dots.

I also finished Son's front last night. It worked up A LOT faster than the first one did! (It only took about an hour and a half to get all the squares together and the border on! and that is progress) I should have measured Daughter's border before I cut Son's because I wanted them the same width and I thought they were the same width, but as soon as I got the first piece sewn on I realized it felt a lot smaller. Not a mistake per say, but I should have listened to Handy Manny and measured twice and cut once.
Daughter's quilt is now in the dryer and hopefully in the next two or three days I can get Son's basted, quilted and bound. I definitely learned a lot from making Daughter's. Son's WILL look better. I'm excited to get it finished.

I'm planning on waiting until his is finished and give them both their quilts together.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

They are cute. Don't worry about the binding. I have made about 20 quilts and I just now figured it out so it looks great.

I suggest some spray starch when you iron. Things won't slip as much. I also got a walking foot with my new machine and it is amazing. No more random bunching when I quilt.

I can't wait to see the pics of the kids when you give these to them. They are going to love them!

bpeterson said...

They look great!