Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sunday RUN Day (or how I almost killed myself 2 days ago)

Sunday after the park and a trip to Wal-mart for soil to start my seeds for the garden. I had the brilliant idea to run outside.

I've been on the elliptical for 30 minutes a day, 5 or 6 times a week for a month and a half. Surely, I could handle week 4 of couch to 5k. surely.

surely. NOT.

I forgot how much of running is mental. And skipping to week 4 is like skipping an entire month of preparing mentally. I also forgot how HIGH impact running is. burning 400 calories in 30 minutes on the elliptical is like taking a bubble bath in clouds when compared to running on pavement. seriously.

My lungs were like, "It's 65 degrees out here. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO US?!?"
My calves and quads were like, "This hurts. This hurts a lot. We're going to make you pay for this for days."
My feet were like, "Those insoles are crap. You need to buy new shoes."
My stomach was like, "Stop or you'll be sorry." I threw up five minutes later and they mocked a little more, "See, I told you."

The stomach evacuation meant I missed one of the 4 runs. But Husband ... Husband was a rock star. He had the double stroller with two sleeping kids in it and still completed it. He did amazing. He pushes me for sure.

The kids after we finished. Son just starting to wake up.

Husband resting.

Me pretending that I'm mostly ok.

time to replace. insoles or no insoles.

I asked Daughter is she wanted to get out and run and she said, "maybe later." I reclined her seat so she could get a little more comfortable.

loving on Son. waiting on Daughter to wake up.

Finally awake and ready to go. I love how Son runs a little like Phoebe Buffay. He's all out.
Unfortunately, he's also a little clumsy. And Daughter got a little too close. Son tripped. Daughter was right behind him and landed on him. There were tears. But no broken skin.

After a short break to listen to music by the big tree they were ready to run again.

After his fall, Son only wanted to run while holding Husband's hand.
I was happy that even after they fell neither kid wanted to go back to the car.

Daughter got to decide our path because she was the first runner.

Husband wanted me to take this picture and he made sure to ask if I lined up the sun between the trees. (yes, I did.)
We ended up doing the 30 minutes of intervals of week 4 and then we kept walking (5 laps is 3.3 miles. a 5k is 3.1) to finish 5 laps plus let the kids sleep a little longer. Then they wanted to run an almost entire lap.

It was fun, but wow, I my quads are still so sore. Even after stretching and time on the elliptical yesterday. Husband is coming home a little early today so we can run again. I think I'm going back to WEEK ONE!!!


Husband said...

About killed me as well. Can't wait to do it again.

laurensmommy said...

good for you guys.... maybe Jason and I should try running! Hahahahahaha! :)

Tiffany Lopez said...

wow, you guys are all-stars!

1) love the bum genius shirt ;)

2) when we did our 5k in charlotte, my SiL was a little nervous because she'd been training in flat conditions and charlotte is hilly. She was a champ and made great time. At the finish line, a furry, silly mascot was waiting to greet everyone...she crossed the line, pushed him aside and puked in the bushes. everyone won that day :)